- What's the biggest change your group has gone through in the last year? Does your group feel like the recession is over and things are getting better, or are things still pretty bleak?
- If I get the job, how do I earn a "gold star" on my performance review? What are the key accomplishments you'd like to see in this role over the next year?
- What's your (or my future boss') leadership style?
- About which competitor are you most worried?
- How does sales / operations / technology / marketing / finance work around here? (I.e., groups other than the one you're interviewing for.)
- What type of people are successful here? What type of people are not?
- What's one thing that's key to this company's success that somebody from outside the company wouldn't know about?
- How did you get your start in this industry? Why do you stay?
- What are your group's best and worst working relationships with other groups in the company?
- What keeps you up at night? What's your biggest worry these days?
- What's the timeline for making a decision on this position? When should I get back in touch with you?
- These are tough economic times, and every position is precious when it comes to the budget. Why did you decide to hire somebody for this position instead of the many other roles / jobs you could have hired for? What about this position made your prioritize it over others?
- What is your reward system? Is it a star system / team-oriented / equity-based / bonus-based / "attaboy!"-based? Why is that your reward system? What do you guys hope to get out of it, and what actually happens when you put it into practice? What are the positives and the negatives of your reward system? If you could change any one thing, what would it be?
- What information is shared with the employees (revenues, costs, operating metrics)? Is this an open-book shop, or do you play it closer to the vest? How is information shared? How do I get access to the information I need to be successful in this job?
- If we are going to have a very successful 2013, what will that look like? What will we have done over the next 18 months to make it successful? How does this position help achieve those goals?
- How does the company / my future boss do performance reviews? How do I make the most of the performance review process to ensure that I'm doing the best I can for the company?
- What is the rhythm to the work around here? Is there a time of year that it's "all hands on deck" and we're pulling all-nighters, or is it pretty consistent throughout the year? How about during the week / month? Is it pretty evenly spread throughout the week / month, or are there crunch days?
I read this article that I thought you would enjoy from The Ladders, By Marc Cenedella
Leave a Reply.
Cindy Cannon, principal of Growth Management Group, provides career assessment and advancement advice and assistance derived from 25 years of recruitment experience in over 2,000 hires.